Smartphones, especially iPhones and Samsung Galaxy S Series, are undoubtedly considered valuable items. These mobile devices are highly priced and perhaps their role in your everyday life is almost irreplaceable. As such, it is only logical that you would aim to keep your smartphone safe and in pristine condition.
Why Would You Need a Waterproof Case?
Although there are already water-resistant or even waterproof smartphones (Source), it would still be best to keep your phone safe in a waterproof case especially when you know that you will be exposing your device to water.
It’s a lot better to make sure that your precious smartphone is protected than realize later on that some liquid has entered and destroyed the internal mechanisms of your phone. There are also other elements in the water such as chlorine, salt, or detergent that may damage your phone.
Besides, advertised as waterproof/water-resistant or not, smartphones, in general, are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty if the cause of any defect in the device is water damage (Source).
What then should you do when you want to enjoy water sports and capture great photos/videos at the same time? The best accessory you can bring is a waterproof case. This simple and affordable accessory allows you to use your phone without the fear of water damage.
So, in this post, we reviewed the 5 Best Waterproof Cases for iPhone & Samsung Galaxy S6, S7, S8, and S9. From the list, our top pick is the FRiEQ Waterproof Case. It’s affordable, IPX8 certified, with snap lock mechanism and will keep your phone afloat even if you accidentally let go of it.
The Top 5 Best Waterproof Cases for iPhone & Samsung Galaxy S6, S7, S8, and S9
1. FRiEQ Waterproof Case For Outdoor Activities – Waterproof Bag/Pouch For iPhone X/8/8plus/7/7plus/6s/6s plus/Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus – IPX8 Certified To 100 Feet
The FRiEQ waterproof case can fit smartphones that measures 6” diagonally or less. This includes iPhone X/ 8/ 8 Plus/ 6S/ 6S Plus/ 6 as well as Samsung Galaxy S6/ S5/ S4/ S3 and other models from different brands that are almost the same size or smaller.
Despite being lightweight, this case promises durability. Also, it is IPX8 certified waterproof so you can bring your smartphone up to 100 feet underwater. It has a clear window on each side, making it a reliable accessory for taking underwater photos and videos. Aside from being waterproof, it is also dust-proof and dirt-proof. You can access your touch screen at full functionality even inside this case.
To protect your device, the FRiEQ waterproof case has a snap-lock mechanism to easily seal your phone inside and a neck strap to conveniently bring it with you. You can use it while swimming, diving, surfing, and other water sports. You also don’t need to worry about your phone sinking when you accidentally let go of it because it will float on its own.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RptKYlhWOc
- Very affordable
- IPX8 certified waterproof, dust-proof and dirt-proof
- Can take underwater photos and videos
- Will float on water
- Does not have warranty
2. Mpow 084 Waterproof Phone Pouch Floating, IPX8 Universal Waterproof Case Underwater Dry Bag Compatible iPhone Xs Max/Xr/X/8/8plus/7/7plus Galaxy s9/s8 Note 9/8 Google Pixel up to 6.5″
The Mpow 084 Waterproof Case not only keeps your phone dry but also makes sure that your smartphone will stay afloat (Besides, what’s the use of a dry phone if it’s already sinking beneath the ocean). Aside from being made of buoyant material, you’d also immediately notice that the pouch has circle padding around it. These keep your smartphone from sinking.
It’s good for scuba diving, swimming, fishing, rowing and other such activities that will not go deeper than 100 feet. This IPX8-certified waterproof case is also snowproof and dustproof so you may also use it for skiing and other activities or sports where you will be exposed to snow or dust.
In addition, Mpow Waterproof Case boasts of being “touch-sensitive” so you can still easily access and navigate around your phone. It also has a transparent window so you may take clear pictures or videos even if your phone’s inside the pouch.
It keeps your device secured through the two switches on the top of the pouch. Such design allows you to quickly open or close the pouch so you can retrieve your phone within seconds.
Its material construction is also another factor that this case boasts of. It’s made of ABS materials that ensures durability and makes the case scratch-resistant and wear-resistant while maintaining its light weight. The case also comes already with a lanyard so you may hang it on your neck so you can comfortably focus on your sport/activity.
The Mpow waterproof case can fit devices measuring up to 6.5 inches. This includes iPhone Xs Max/ Xr/ X/ 8/ 8 plus/ 7, as well as Galaxy S9 / S8 Edge and other smartphones of almost the same size.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjyXNnyKHhU
- Bouyant material and circle padding that will keep your device afloat.
- IPX8 certified waterproof, but is also snowproof and dustproof
- Phone’s easily accessible through the two top switches
- Costly compared to others
3. Universal Waterproof Case, JOTO CellPhone Dry Bag Pouch for Apple iPhone 6S, 6, 6S Plus, SE, 5S, Samsung Galaxy S7, S6 Note 7 5, HTC LG Sony Nokia Motorola up to 6.0″ diagonal
The JOTO cellphone dry bag is another universal IPX8 certified waterproof case that can fit up to 6.0” smartphones. Meaning, it can be used for iPhone 6S/ 6/ 6S Plus/ SE/ 5S and Samsung Galaxy S7/ S6, and such models from other brands of almost the same size.
It is certified to be waterproof for 100 feet making it suitable for swimming, snorkeling, fishing, boating, kayaking, and other such water activities. In addition, it is also snow-proof and dirt-proof.
This affordable cellphone dry bag from JOTO also has clear windows on front and back allowing you to easily access your phone, and even take photos or videos as you wish.
For the security of your device inside the pouch, it is equip with a simple snap-and-lock. Such design allows you to quickly open/ remove your device while keeping all other elements outside. It also comes with a neck strap so you can also hang it on your neck to conveniently and fully experience the water fun.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHnSbEU0Jg
- Very affordable
- Waterproof, snow-proof, and dirt-proof
- Comes with simple snap-and-lock, and a neck strap
- Cheaper imitations are also lurking in the market
4. (2Pack) Universal Waterproof Case, Trianium Cellphone Dry Bag Pouch w/ IPX8 for iPhone X 8 7 6s 6 Plus, SE 5s 5c 5, Galaxy s9 s8 s7 s6 Edge, Note 5 4,LG G6 G5,HTC 10,Nokia, Pixel up to 6.0” Diagonal
The Trianium cellphone dry bag boasts of durable, thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) composition. Such material is said to protect your device and the case from water, dust, dirt, grease, snow, scratches, and bumps. It is so safe that you can also store your credit cars and money in it.
This IPX8 certified waterproof case is perfect for island hopping, swimming, boating, kayaking, snorkeling, and other water adventures you’d want to try. Yet, you should note that it can only go up to 100 feet deep. To better seal your valuables, it comes with an innovative swivel lock design that allows you to easily open or seal it back.
It can fit smartphones up to 6.0” in diagonal size, including iPhone X/ 8/ 7/ 7 plus/ 6s plus/ 6 plus, and Galaxy S9/ S8/ 8 plus/ S7/ S6 edge and other phones of similar or smaller size.
For full touch screen access and for you to capture photos and videos, this case also has a dual-side transparent window. Best of all, it is covered with manufacturer’s warranty for one year.
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43NHwlMHmNY
- Very affordable
- IPX8 certified waterproof, dust-proof, dirt-proof, snow-proof and scratch-resistant
- Phone’s touch screen is fully operational
- Innovative swivel lock design
- Will not float in water
5. Wildtek Premium Universal Waterproof Cell Phone Case
The Wildtek waterproof cellphone case is also made of TPU making it durable, flexible and eco-friendly. It allows you to text, call, listen to music, and even take photos and videos while your phone’s inside the case. It also comes with an adjustable neck strap and is designed with secure locking seal.
It is IPX8 certified waterproof but only up to 30 feet for 30 minutes. You can use it of basic scuba diving (just make sure to monitor your depth), swimming, kayaking and other water activities so you can take underwater photos and videos.
This Wildtek waterproof case can accommodate iPhone 7/ 7 Plus/ 6/ 6S/ 6 Plus, and Samsung Galaxy S8/ S7/ S6/ S6 Edge and other similar or smaller smartphones.
Lastly, since the brand is pretty confident about its product, it is covered with a lifetime money back guarantee and damage reimbursement
Youtube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwGQ-pCnHI
- Durable, IPX8 certified waterproof case
- Covered with lifetime warranty
- Can be submerged in water for 30 minutes
- Quite costly
- Cheaper imitations are lurking in the market
What does “IPX8 Certified” even mean?
We’ve been mentioning this IPX8 certified since the first product listed. If your curious about what it means, of course, we’ll explain it to you as well.
“IP” stands for ingress protection. It tests the level of protection that an enclosure or case provides against intrusions (Source).
The “X” that follows the IP is a placeholder and indicates that there is no other particle taken into consideration during the test (Source).
Lastly, “8” indicates that the enclosure or case can protect your device in water under the conditions specified by the manufacturer (Source).
If such explanation is not entirely clear to you, perhaps this summary of test level definitions could help you out (Source):
- IPX-0: No special protection
- IPX-1: Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.
- IPX-2: Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees – Same as IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions – tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.
- IPX-3:Protected against spraying water – Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.
- IPX-4: Protected against splashing water – Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.
- IPX-5:Protected against water jets – Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
- IPX-6:Protected against heavy seas – Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
- IPX-7:Protected against water immersion – Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
- IPX-8:Protected against water submersion – The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.
Do Waterproof Cases really work?
As supported by actual Youtube reviews, it was shown that the five (5) best waterproof cases presented in this post really do work. They can protect your phone underwater and allow you to capture photos and videos. Some manufacturers even offer warranty to signify how confident they are of their product.
What you must be cautious about, however, are the imitations of these products. They are not as high-quality as the original ones and those who mistakenly purchase these cheap replicas got their phone damaged.
As such, it would still be best to try your waterproof case on water with a tissue or paper. Don’t get too excited and immediately put your phone inside and expose it to water. Even those products that come in great packaging may still have some leakages.
Now that you see the 5 best waterproof cases, you can enjoy your water sports and take your phone (and other valuables) with you at the same time.
With a waterproof case securing your phone, you can take underwater videos as you dive or capture the beauty and color of the corals as you snorkel. You can bring your memories with you in your mobile phone.
Yes, this simple smartphone accessory surely does bring significant advantage especially for those who want to document their every adventure. So, go, enjoy and let your smartphone take a dip!
Table of Contents
- Why Would You Need a Waterproof Case?
- 1. FRiEQ Waterproof Case For Outdoor Activities – Waterproof Bag/Pouch For iPhone X/8/8plus/7/7plus/6s/6s plus/Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus – IPX8 Certified To 100 Feet
- 2. Mpow 084 Waterproof Phone Pouch Floating, IPX8 Universal Waterproof Case Underwater Dry Bag Compatible iPhone Xs Max/Xr/X/8/8plus/7/7plus Galaxy s9/s8 Note 9/8 Google Pixel up to 6.5″
- 3. Universal Waterproof Case, JOTO CellPhone Dry Bag Pouch for Apple iPhone 6S, 6, 6S Plus, SE, 5S, Samsung Galaxy S7, S6 Note 7 5, HTC LG Sony Nokia Motorola up to 6.0″ diagonal
- 4. (2Pack) Universal Waterproof Case, Trianium Cellphone Dry Bag Pouch w/ IPX8 for iPhone X 8 7 6s 6 Plus, SE 5s 5c 5, Galaxy s9 s8 s7 s6 Edge, Note 5 4,LG G6 G5,HTC 10,Nokia, Pixel up to 6.0” Diagonal
- 5. Wildtek Premium Universal Waterproof Cell Phone Case
- What does “IPX8 Certified” even mean?
- Do Waterproof Cases really work?