The modern kitchen is completely different from the kitchen 20 years ago. The evolution of technological progress leads to the fact that the same actions used to take way longer than now.
The slogan of progress is “better, more, faster”. If earlier a woman spent most of the day in the kitchen or doing household chores, then a modern woman can devote just about an hour or two to the same things.
A washing machine, an oven, an electric kettle, a microwave, a refrigerator, a blender – can we now imagine existence without these useful devices?
For the right choice of a dishwasher, we need to decide on the first question, why do we need it and whether it is needed at all. According to that chart, there are several reasons that motivate you to buy it:
- saving personal time;
- dishes can be done at any time, even when you are away from home;
- no hot water required;
- significant savings – water consumption with a dishwasher is reduced by 3, 5 or even more times, compared to washing dishes with hands;
- the ability to use potent detergents that are not applicable when the dishes are washed by hand;
- rinsing is carried out at a high temperature, which allows you to completely clean the surface of the dishes from detergents.
At the same time, it is worth mentioning the disadvantages, which may be important for you:
- The price of a dishwasher. Each owner of the device will confirm that the purchase is worth it, but it’s up to you.
- It takes up space. You need to think in advance about where to place another, not the smallest unit, and also with free access for loading/unloading dishes.
- Power consumption of a dishwasher. This device is one of the most powerful among household appliances. The apartment or house must have reliable wiring. Typically, the machine has sensors that determine the number of dishes and even pollution. The device independently determines the need for water and energy. When connected to an external source of hot water, it is possible to significantly save electricity.
- Dishes from some materials can’t be washed in it. These include metal (tin, aluminum, copper), heat-resistant dishes made of plastic, and wood.
- Detergents for the dishwasher. Now you need to use chemicals for washing dishes.
Consider the size of the dishwasher
The right choice of the dishwasher can be determined first of all by size.
The standard size of the dishwasher holds from 10 to 13 sets of dishes. It is suitable for a family of 4-5 people. Such devices usually have several modes and functions.
The narrow dishwashers are designed to hold slightly less than 8-10 sets. Typically, devices save 10-15% of the budget. Many of these devices are offered by European manufacturers, such as Siemens, Bosch, Electrolux, and others;
There are also compact dishwashers that hold up to 8 sets of dishes. They are suitable for small families, as well as for small kitchens. Installed in a wall cabinet or on a table. However, before choosing a dishwasher of this type, you should know that it is endowed with the most minimal functionality, but it also is the most budgetary option. Suitable for families of up to 3 people. You can’t wash the pans and pots in such a device though.
Types of dishwashers
There are two types:
Which dishwasher to choose from these two? It all depends on the capabilities of the kitchen space and your preferences regarding interior design. In any case, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with both models. Embedded or built-in dishwashers are divided into fully and partially built-in, they differ in the location of the control panel.
An economical or powerful dishwasher?
The difficulty of the question is which dishwasher is better in choosing the type of power of the device. Manufacturers offer us as many as seven energy classes, which are usually represented by Latin letters from A to G. Class A is the most economical, and G represents the most powerful and energy-consuming devices. Usually, D – G dishwashers are old models or professional devices.
For reference, here are energy consumption standards by classes:
- “A” – 0.8-1.05 kWh / cycle;
- “B” – 1.06-1.09 kWh / cycle;
- “C” – 2-2.99 kWh / cycle.
Another important and most interesting question is the functionality of the device.
- washing with hot water and detergents;
- rinse with detergent;
- drying dishes with hot air.
More expensive models are equipped with several additional modes, which significantly increase the dishwasher capabilities:
- intensive high-temperature washing up to 167 °F;
- mode for washing fragile dishes 86-104 °F;
- quick wash: rinse dishes immediately after eating not greasy liquid food.
Typical water consumption is about 3.6-4.4 gallons of water per 1 wash cycle.
Also, some models may be equipped with such functions:
- filtration and self-cleaning system;
- waste grinder;
- child protection;
- delayed start;
- regulation of the height of the upper basket;
- Aqua Stop;
- partial load mode.
The dishwasher is connected to the water supply and to the sewage with special hoses. It is better than the distance to the sewage system does not exceed 5 ft.
Which dishwasher is better: built-in or free-standing
The built-in dishwasher disguises itself perfectly in furniture including a navigation panel so that the kitchen will amaze guests with its elegance and style.
What to consider when choosing a dishwasher in the store
When making a purchase, make sure that your choice is fully equipped.
The standard set of the built-in dishwasher includes:
- front door;
- bottom basket;
- top basket;
- air duct of the drying system;
- lower sprayer;
- top sprayer;
- cutlery basket;
- discharge pump;
After that, make sure that the device suits you according to its functionality:
- the height of the baskets is adjustable, it will be useful for washing large dishes;
- the ability to change the slope;
- the presence of internal camera lighting;
- the possibility of fixing the door;
- heat exchanger;
- additional removable spray nozzles;
- the presence of a self-cleaning filter (significantly saves water);
- stainless steel elements;
- the presence of screw supports (if you have an uneven floor).
A few little tips that will extend the life of the machine: clean the filter from time to time, sometimes wash baskets for dishes, use additional care products, and wipe the device.